About this blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Spring Green Risotto

It's Michigan, and so far this spring, the weather has been... unpredictable, to say the least.

I actually have a cold.  In May.  So not fair.  I was tempted to make soup tonight, because that's always what I want when I'm sick (Who am I kidding?  I just always want soup, no matter the conditions!), but I also wanted to make something blog-worthy.  And boy, did I!!!

OK, I'm feeling pretty punky, so this is going to be short and sweet.  I love risotto.  It's so creamy and comforting and filling!  The peas and spinach make it cheerful, and I will definitely make this again, perhaps with fresh thyme.  Feel free to change up the veggies as you like.  I happened to have these on hand, and thought they complimented each other well, but hey, get creative!


Mmm, looks good enough to eat!

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup frozen peas
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (or vegan Parmesan, if desired)
3 cups packed fresh baby spinach
Salt and pepper

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, heat veg broth on low heat.  Spray a large pot with cooking spray and saute onion and garlic on medium heat for about 4 minutes, until onions are soft.  Add mushrooms and cook for about 2 more minutes.  Add rice and stir to combine.  Stir in white wine and thyme, and stir to combine, cooking for about a minute.  Turn heat to medium-low.  Add one cup of warm broth, stirring constantly, until all broth is absorbed.  Repeat this process, one cup at a time, until all broth has been added.  [This process will take about 30 min or so, but is totally worth it, trust me.]  When you add the last cup of broth, also add the peas.  Stir to combine.  When the last of the broth is absorbed (it will look soft and creamy, but not runny), stir in the vinegar and nutritional yeast, and add salt and pepper as desired.  Stir in the spinach and let cook until just wilted.  Serve hot and enjoy!


OK, I'm heading to bed now with a cup of tea.  Happy Spring, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment