About this blog

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Microwave "Baked" Apples

Because I'm all about convenience.  And 3-ingredient recipes.  Aw yeah.

I ventured down to the farmer's market yesterday morning without a plan of what I wanted to buy.  I figured I would just look around and see what jumped out at me.  I came home with eggplant, onions, peppers, cauliflower, and apples.  After much deliberation (I mean, we're talking several hours of brain-storming here), I finally decided what I wanted to make with the eggplant, however, I don't think I'll get to it today.  I'm feeling pretty wiped out.

So instead, I'll show you how I made the easiest, laziest dessert out of the apples this afternoon.  OK, I only used one of the apples.  Because I'm only one person.  Baked apples are terrific, in theory, but you know me, always looking for a shortcut.  I can't take credit for coming up with microwaving the apples instead of baking (that credit goes to my ex bf/current friend), but who cares?  It's brilliant and I expect microwaving apples to become the next internet craze.

You can get creative with the toppings.  I happened to have ice cream in the freezer, but I don't usually have any on hand.  These apples would also be delicious topped with chopped nuts, a drizzle of maple syrup, raisins, shredded coconut, whipped cream, yogurt.  You could also sprinkle on pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon.  It's your apple- Get creative!





Ingredients:
1 apple, any variety, sliced
cinnamon
brown sugar

Directions:
Place apple slices in a microwave-safe bowl.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar, and nuke for 3 minutes.  Apples will be soft- almost mushy- and super hot, so be careful!  Let sit for a minute or two.  Top with ice cream or, you know, whatever you want. 

Alternative to microwaving:  I understand that some people dislike the idea of microwaving their food.  I can tell you that scientific research does not show that any harm will come to you if you eat food that has been cooked in the microwave, however there is an alternative.  I would suggest this method if you're wanting to "bake" more than one apple at a time, or if you would usually bake them for real in the oven, but it's too damn hot to turn bake anything.  You can cook the fruit in a saucepan on medium heat to get the same effect.  You shouldn't need to spray the pan with  cooking spray or add any liquid, as the apples will ooze out their juices as they cook.  Just stir occasionally to prevent the apples from sticking or burning.  I would imagine this method would take about 10 minutes or so, depending on how many apple slices you crammed into the pot.



1 comment:


  1. If you are looking for microwave repair in mumbai then clickmicrowave repair in mumbai
    either you are looking for ac repair in mumbai then clickac repair in mumbai

    ReplyDelete