About this blog

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I Just Want to Feel Better! Soup

Because being sick sucks.

Well friends, the black plague has returned, this time in the form of bronchitis.  Honestly, I would bet that that's what was ailing me all along, starting in Texas.  But because I'm stubborn and refused to go to the doctor initially, it came back badder than ever.  But no worries- I'm on drugs now!  I should be feeling 100% in no time!

Meanwhile, I've been feeling pretty lousy for the last few weeks.  All I want to do is sleep (naps every day!)!  But I also have to eat (I'm so needy!).  I decided to make soup last night, because soup is the best get-well-soon food ever!

I didn't have any veggie broth, so I just kind of winged it.  Let's get serious- this soup ain't pretty.  But it is pretty delicious, and packed with good-for-you veggies!  Sickness or not, this is a feel good meal that you should definitely try at home.







Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup diced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 box frozen spinach (10 oz, I think)
3 tsp poultry seasoning
1 cup wild rice
5 cups water
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (I used broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp Chinese 5-spice
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
More water, as needed
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Spray a pressure cooker or large pot with cooking spray and saute onion, garlic, and frozen spinach over medium heat, until spinach has thawed, about 7 minutes.  Add poultry seasoning and stir to combine.  Add rice and water and stir to mix well.

*If using a pressure cooker:  Attach lid, bring pressure up and cook on medium heat for 18 minutes.  Remove pot from heat and allow pressure to decrease.  Remove lid and return pan to burner.

*If using a soup pot:  Cover pot and cook according to directions on rice package, about 45 minutes.  Remove lid.

Once rice is cooked, if soup seems too thick, add more water as desired.  I added 2 cups to mine.
Stir in mixed veggies, corn, and beans.  Add thyme, Chinese 5-spice, soy sauce, and lemon juice and stir to mix well.  Continue to cook soup on medium heat for about 10 minutes until frozen veggies are no longer frozen.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

**It's that time of year, friends!  Wash hands often to prevent getting sick!  [And do your best to avoid children and other germ monsters, if possible.]

No comments:

Post a Comment