About this blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

Fajita-style Veggies

Because nobody really knows the difference between a taco, burrito, or fajita.  Except maybe Wikipedia...

For shame!  It's been almost two weeks since my last post!  It's not that I haven't cooked, I just haven't had time to write it all out.  Life has become really, really, reeeaalllllyyyy hectic lately.  I can't help it!

I went home this weekend for a family get-together.  My sister, Sara, is expecting her first child, and we had a family dinner to celebrate the big gender reveal!  [Can you guess what she's having?  I mean, we all know it's going to be a baby (spoilers!).  But boy or girl???]

I have a LOT of family, so to make things easy, dinner was a sort of taco bar.  My contribution was this colorful array of fajita-style veggies.  I'm not positive what exactly makes these "fajita-style" except that I've gotten something very similar at Mexican restaurants in the past. So a couple of us made tacos with refried beans (making it more like a burrito) topped with fajita veggies, non-dairy sour cream and shredded cheese, and hot sauce!.  Ta-da!  Taco-burrito-fajita explosion!






A quick note about the recipe:  Really, this isn't a complicated recipe.  It's not even all that awe-worthy.  But I felt it was worth posting, because it was so easy to put together.  See, my sister, Mary, suggested I just season the veggies with a store-bought fajita seasoning mix.  I had considered it until I read the ingredients on the package: sugar, MSG, and several other additives that made me think it wasn't worth it.  My point is, this seasoning mix is so easy to put together, there's no need to buy store-bought!  Delicious and nutritious!



Ingredients:
1 large red onion, cut in half and sliced 
2 bell peppers, sliced
1 each summer squash and zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into half moons
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Spray a large saute pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat.  Add onion and saute for about 4 minutes.  Toss in peppers and cook for another 3 minutes.  Add squash and zucchini and stir in all spices until well combined.  Season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue to cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes until zucchini and squash are soft.  Serve hot over tacos, fajitas, or in burritos!


No comments:

Post a Comment