About this blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Chickpea Melt with Roasted Red Pepper and Dill

Introducing the world's BEST chickpea melt!  (In my most humble opinion, anyway.)

The recipe I posted quite some time ago for a chickpea melt has by far gotten the most hits of any recipe on this blog.  And I really half-assed that recipe.  So I felt the need to give you a proper chickpea melt recipe.  You're welcome.

I need to be honest: I totally made this up on the fly.  Seriously, I opened the can of chickpeas knowing only that I was going to add stuff that I don't normally add to chickpea salad.  This is not an exact science, people!  But I actually measured everything, and came up with a better way of heating the sandwich so that the filling actually gets warm, so that's awesome, right?

There really was no rhyme or reason as to how/why I decided to add ingredients.  But I must say, this stuff is fantastic!  I'm actually pretty pumped about this filling.  The tang of the vinegar and roasted red pepper really give the sandwich a lot of umph.  Check it out for yourself and let me know how umph-y you think it is.

A couple of notes:

*After mixing all the ingredients, I heated the filling in the microwave.  Why?  Because the last time I made a chickpea melt with the intent to post it here, the filling didn't get warm just from grilling the sandwich (which is part of the reason I never posted that particular melt experiment).  This method worked better.  I realize it's a bit unconventional, but just go with it.

*I tried a new vegan cheese today.  The Follow Your Heart brand was cheaper than Daiya, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  On the plus side, it was cheaper and lower in fat than Daiya.  On the down side, Daiya tastes waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better.  Choose wisely.

*I submitted this to a recipe contest.  You should definitely go HERE and vote.  Thanks, lovies!



Ingredients:
15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried dill
1/2 cup fresh peas
1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup fresh baby spinach
12 slices hearty grain bread 

Directions:
In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, mash chickpeas with a potato masher, until beans are broken but not mushy.  To the beans, add the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and dill, and mix well to combine.  Stir in the peas, peppers, and cheese.  Microwave for about 1 minute.  Stir in the spinach.
Heat a skillet on medium-low heat.  Pile about 1/3 cup of filling on one slice of bread.  Top with another slice of bread, and spray with cooking spray.  Place sandwich on skillet, cooking spray-side sown.  Spray top of sandwich with cooking spray.  Heat for about 5 min on each side, until bread is toasty and filling is heated.  Repeat with remaining ingredients.


P.S. The contest form asked me to state how many servings this makes.  I said 6, but I have absolutely no clue.  Come on, I can only eat one sandwich at a time!


No comments:

Post a Comment