About this blog

Monday, February 23, 2015

Vegetable Fried Quinoa

Because this is the last meal I'm gonna cook before leaving for MEXICO!!!!!

That's right, folks.  For the first time in 5 years I'm taking a real vacation.  [Disclaimer: My trip to Texas two summers ago for the Officer's wedding was supposed to be a vacation, but since I was dying of the black plague for the duration of it, it doesn't really count.]  But anyway, a real vacation, with plane tickets and a passport and a new bathing suit and everything.  I am so super pumped!

Since I'll be gone for about a week, I didn't want to have to buy any groceries at this point, certainly not anything that will spoil while I'm gone, and I figured I might as well use up some stuff I've had hanging out in the pantry for a while- frozen mixed veggies, quinoa, onions that were starting to sprout....  I did have to go out and buy the tofu for this (I was heading out anyway for last-minute toiletries and such), which proved to be a wise addition.  I would definitely tweak the spices in this the next time I make it.  It needs more something, I just don't know what.  But it's good.  Really really good.

Now, all that being said, about how I didn't want leftover food or anything that will spoil while I'm gone?  Yeah, well, I accidentally made enough food to feed a small army.  I wonder how well this will freeze...  I had intended to only use 1 1/2 cups quinoa, but got a little carried and used 2 cups, dry, which yielded 5 or 6 cups.  I'm thinking the flavors will be better suited to a smaller amount of quinoa, so I'm going to recommend 1 1/2 cups.

But you know what's the best part about this whole dish?  My old roomie stopped by for a visit shortly after I had finished cooking, so we got to share a home-cooked meal together, just like the good old days.  Love.







Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
14 oz firm tofu, water pressed out
1 lb frozen mixed veggies
3-4 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
Salt and pepper

Directions:
In a large saucepan, cover quinoa with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Turn heat to simmer and cover with a lid, cooking for 15-20 min, until water is absorbed.
In a large wok, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute for about 3 min.  Stir in ginger and turmeric and cook for another 2 min.  Add tofu, crumbling it with your hands.  Stir to completely cover with spices.  Add veggies and continue to cook for 5-10 min, or until quinoa is done.
Add the quinoa and soy sauce to the wok and stir to mix well.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and additional soy sauce if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment