About this blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Potato and "Sausage" Stuffed Peppers with Country Gravy

Because it was just so freaking awesome!!!

This post will be brief, but totally worth it.  I'm exhausted, I still have homework to do, and I have a long day ahead of me.  But this little pepper number I threw together over the weekend was just too good to keep to myself!

This is a breakfast/brunch recipe, but I suppose you could eat this any time.  I created it specifically for this month's contest held by Better Recipes, and boy am I glad I did!  The recipe could win one of two ways: judge's choice or reader's choice.  So if any of you have the hankering to hop over to the contest site and vote for this beauty, here's the link.

If you do go check out the recipe on that site, please don't judge me for hiding the fact that I used vegan ingredients when making it.  While their contests are legit and it's a very user-friendly website, Better Recipes is far from being a vegan (or very vegan-friendly) site, and I think that non-vegans are intimidated by vegan recipes (even though mine are super easy!) and therefore tend to avoid them.  So, in order to increase my chances of winning, I don't mention the fact that I used Lightlife sausage, Earth Balance butter, or Silk unsweetened almond milk.  But I did use those things, I promise!!!

So, take-home points of this post: I haven't gone mad and begun eating animal products again; I hope you'll vote for this recipe (every day until the end of the month would be just lovely); from now on, peppers should always be stuffed with sausage and potatoes; and everything should be smothered in this gravy.  Seriously.  I'll probably make a new biscuits and gravy recipe from this in the very near future.  Stay tuned!





Ingredients:
 1 lb ground veggie sausage**
2 Tbsp non-dairy butter
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb diced potatoes
1/4 tsp paprika
6 large bell peppers (go for a variety of colors to make it extra pretty!)

Country gravy:
2 Tbsp non-dairy butter
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-2 cups non-dairy milk
Salt and pepper

Directions:
 Pre-heat oven to 350.
In a large frying pan, brown sausage over medium high heat until cooked through.  Remove sausage from pan and cover to keep warm.
**I used Lightlife sausage, which browns up nicely but has a flavor that is a little "off."  So, in an effort to make it taste more sausage-y, I added about a Tbsp of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning while it was browning.  I would definitely recommend adding these if you use this brand.  It really made the "sausage" zing.
In the same pan, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat.  Add onions and garlic and saute for 5 min.  Add potatoes and stir in paprika.  Cook for 10 min until potatoes are starting to get soft but not mushy.  Season with salt and pepper.
Cut the tops of the peppers to create lids.  Remove the seeds and ribs from the inside of the pepper.  Stuff each pepper with sausage and potato mixture and top with the pepper "lid".  Arrange stuffed peppers in a baking dish and cover with foil.  Bake for 35 min, until peppers are soft.
While the peppers are cooking, make the gravy.  In a medium sauce pan, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat.  Stir in flour, paprika, and garlic until well combined.  Slowly whisk in milk, starting with one cup and adding more milk, one Tbsp at a time, until you reach desired consistency.  Allow the gravy to bubble and thicken, stirring constantly.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
When peppers are done, top with gravy and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment