About this blog

Friday, July 19, 2013

Picnic For One

Because it's too damn hot to cook!!!!

I had to work this morning, and there's no place I would have rather been.  In fact, I may have gotten there early.  See, it's about a thousand and twenty degrees in my apartment, but work has AC.  Aw, yeah.  But I couldn't realistically stay there all day (nor would I have wanted to!), so alas, I'm back home in the hot, sweaty, melty apartment.

I've had this idea all week to make a pasta dish with zucchini and a white wine sauce, but the thought of standing over the stove was simply unbearable.  So the obvious solution was to make something cold.  But satisfying.  And worth writing about.  And taking pictures of.  I have standards, people!  I've been in the mood to go on a picnic lately, but I don't have anyone to go on picnics with.  [Any takers???]  So, I made my own picnic.  A "me" picnic.

The recipe I'm about to post is really for the white bean spread, not the sandwich itself.  Because I trust that y'all know how to make a sandwich.  (If you don't, then leave a comment and we'll chat.)  The spread acted kind of like a sandwich filling.  I would say that this recipe makes about 4 sandwiches, although it would also be fantastic in a wrap or as a dip with crackers and veggies.






Italian White Bean Spread

Ingredients:
15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oreagano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Salt and pepper

Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl, mash beans with a fork until no whole beans are left.  Throw in all remaining ingredients, stirring to mix well.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Let it chill in the fridge until ready to use.

For the sandwich:
I loaded this baby with veggies!  It's like the Dagwood of vegetable sandwiches.


 My sandwich included lettuce, cucumber, red onion, sprouts, yellow pepper, mushrooms, and guacamole.




 I may have put too many things on...




My picnic included the sammie, some chips, and an iced coffee.  All enjoyed with my hair blowing in the wind of the fan pointed directly at me.




 The heat is hot y'all!  Stay hydrated!

No comments:

Post a Comment