About this blog

Friday, April 12, 2013

Creamy Tomato Primavera Soup

I had 45 minutes to cook, eat, and head back to campus.  Challenge accepted.

I find it hard to believe when people tell me that they don't have time to cook.  You have time, I promise.  But maybe you don't have the desire, the ingredients, the skill.  Or you have failed to prioritize eating.  Which I really can't understand, since eating is usually my highest priority.

It's all about having a few simple, super quick recipes in your repertoire.  Let me help you out with that.  You're welcome.

While fresh veggies have the best taste and all, they are super needy.  You can't buy them too far in advance before you want to use them.  You have to wash them, and chop them, and say sweet lovely things to them.  Ugh, no wonder you opted to grab food on the go.  But that doesn't have to be the case!  Enter frozen veggies. 

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating.  (I have a habit of repeating myself a lot.  Just part of my charm.)  Frozen veggies are awesome because it takes maybe 2 seconds to open the bag and dump them into whatever you're making.  No planning ahead, washing, or chopping required!  [Although you really ought to wash your hands.]  I didn't time myself, but I'm pretty sure this soup was done in 20 minutes or less.  Prep time was maybe 5 minutes.  And I made it to school on time.  Yay, efficiency! 

                                         Eating by the light of the computer.  How romantic.

Ingredients:
1 cup frozen diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can diced tomatoes
15 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed (or whatever you have on hand, that's cool too)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 cup vegetable broth
1 lb bag frozen mixed veggies
1 tsp dried dill
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Heat a large soup pot on medium high heat.  Toss in the onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.  Add the tomatoes, milk, and broth and stir to combine.  Throw in everything else, adding  salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 12-15 minutes or until the veggies are heated through.
Ta-da!  Deliciousness in no time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment