About this blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sausage and Peppers Biscuits n' Gravy

Because I'm still not off my comfort food kick...

It's fun to try to veganize dishes that are seemingly unveganizable.  Thanks to the fabulous variety of vegan products available these days, it's actually not much of a challenge to veganize biscuits and gravy.  Veggie sausage and non-dairy milk are easily found at your local grocery store.  However, vegan biscuits are not found quite so easily (at least not at the two stores I checked yesterday).  I used English muffins because I didn't have time/motivation to bake my own, but if you do have the time, biscuits are really better suited for this rich gravy.

A few years ago, I made biscuits and gravy similar to this, but I made my own sausage from a recipe I got off the Post Punk Kitchen website.  And I made the gravy out of pureed white beans, milk, nutritional yeast, assorted seasonings, and so on, which tasted great but was super heavy.  Evidently I had way too much time on my hands back then, because the whole ordeal probably took about 2 hours.  This S&P B&G only took about a half hour.  Boom.

I made this dish thinking that I would submit it to a new recipe contest, but it turns out I don't love love this dish.  I only medium love it.  The contest rules limited me to using only 8 ingredients (not including salt and pepper) so the gravy wasn't quite as awesome as it had the potential to be.  That being said, it's actually really tasty, and it quenched my craving for B&G.  I really like the addition of onions and peppers, they add a great deal of flavor to the gravy.  I'm just not so sure it screams "Contest Winner."  Stay tuned for more details about what recipe I end up using instead.



Ingredients:
4 biscuits, store-bought or home-made
1 cup onion, sliced
1 small bell pepper, sliced
1 lb veggie sausage (I used GimmeLean ground 'sausage')
4 Tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/8 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Spray a large skillet pan with cooking spray.  Throw in the onion, and saute for about a minute, over medium-high heat.  Add the peppers and saute 5 minutes.  Remove the veggies from the pan and cover to keep warm. 
Bring the pan back to the stove, give it another shot of cooking spray, and add the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula until it's crumbly.  Cook for 6 or 7 minutes, until cooked through.  Sprinkle the flour over the sausage, and stir to mix well.  Slowly whisk in the milk. 
Simmer the sauce over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the gravy is thick and bubbly.  Mix in the poultry seasoning, cayenne, and salt and pepper. 
Cut biscuits in half, spoon a generous amount of gravy goodness, and top off with onion and peppers.

Enjoy your B&G with a bloody Mary.  I did, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment