About this blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lemony Tofu Skillet Salad

I found a new hobby last year that makes me happy, keeps me well fed, gets my creative juices going, and sometimes brings in money.  The hobby: Entering recipe contests.  It's cool because the contests have a theme, which helps me narrow down what kind of food to make (you know, breakfast, dessert, casserole, etc.).  I have entered recipes on several different websites, but my favorite is  http://www.betterrecipes.com/contests
This week's recipe theme is "Best Salad Recipe Ever."  Which automatically sounds epic.
School starts back up tomorrow, and I just spent the weekend in Indiana with my buddy Ty, so there's little chance I'll be coming up with any new salad recipes this week.  However, I just so happened to have an epic salad recipe laying around from a previous contest (that I did not win).  I just entered it into the contest [you should definitely go to the site and vote for it] and I might just make it for dinner this week.

OK, so about the recipe itself.  A warm salad may sound weird, but it's actually pretty awesome.  I mean, if you think about it, stir-fry is kind of like warm salad, right?  Anyhow, I got the idea from Susan at fatfreevegan.com (recipe here).  The previous contest theme was citrus, which is where I got the lemon from.  It's super healthy but also tasty, easy to make (although you do have to plan ahead for the marinating), and comes together quickly.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Oh yeah, and vote.


Ingredients:
 Marinade:
1 cup vegetable broth
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons (save the last 1/2 lemon for the salad)
1 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp agave
1 tsp ground cumin
1 lb. firm tofu pressed and cut into 1 inch cubes*
   
Salad:
1 large sweet onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 head red cabbage chopped
5 oz shredded carrots
1 bunch kale stems removed and leaves cut into small pieces
1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
 In a large bowl, combine all marinade ingredients (except tofu). Whisk to mix well. Add cubed tofu and stir to cover all pieces. Let tofu marinate for two hours or overnight.
Heat a large wok or soup pot over medium high heat. Add tofu, saving liquid for later use, and saute for 10 minutes, or until tofu is browned on all sides. Remove tofu from pan and keep covered in a separate dish.
Return pan to stove and add onions, garlic, and 2 Tbsp marinade. Saute for 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add cabbage and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add more marinade as needed to keep veggies from sticking to pan.
Add kale and the juice from remaining lemon half. Sprinkle on generous dose of salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until kale is wilted.
Return tofu to pan and mix well. Serve warm, with additional lemon wedges if desired.

*Note: To press tofu: Remove tofu from package (drain the water) and place between two large plates. Place something heavy (like a soup can) on the top plate and let sit for about 20 minutes. Pour off excess water and cut into cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment